9 de octubre de 2011

5 great 1950s portable typewriters

Picking up from Robert here... hi there way West and Down Under. This is five of my nicest portables, and they are all from the 1950s. They also type fine, with the exception of the Brosette maybe, which I don't value very highly for practical writing after all. This post is in memory of Leopold F. Pascher, the Viennese engineer who had designed what would become the Groma Gromina already by 1938. He died in unfortunate circumstances in the immediate post-war. His prototype was only put into production in 1951.

The Groma Gromina is a recent acquisition (thanks again, German ebay), the Groma Kolibri is a family heirloom from the typewriter collector's wife (I always wanted to use the word 'heirloom' in one of my posts). The abc look familiar? Yes! The Brosette is in need of more attention, whereas the Calanda S is spoiled and prominently put on display in my house.

You will find some more information by clicking on the pictures, or on typewriters.ch.
Groma Gromina
Groma Gromina
Groma Kolibri
Groma Kolibri
ABC portable typewriter
abc
Brosette
Brosette
Calanda S typewriter
Calanda S
That's all folks - wishing you a good week.  

7 comentarios:

  1. The Groma Gromina looks really light and small. Isn't there a carriage return lever?

    ResponderBorrar
  2. wow! never see those here! very nice photos too

    ResponderBorrar
  3. I'm drawn to the Brosette, never seen one before, not even in photos.

    ResponderBorrar
  4. The finish on the abc is fascinating to me. So very utilitarian '50s!

    ResponderBorrar
  5. Lovely pictures as always, Georg.

    I thought of you when I saw a Calanda on Leboncoin earlier this week; it seems they sold in France as well because this was an azerty version!

    @lo-tech: There was a Brosette on eBay US a couple of weeks ago, and it ended at only about $64 - really flew under the radar! You can still find it in completed listings, I think.

    ResponderBorrar
  6. I have the Cole Steel version of that ABC. I absolutely love that machine. I hear a lot about escapement problems with them, but I've not had anything like that.

    Beautiful machines. Thanks for sharing those.

    ResponderBorrar
  7. thank you all for comments!
    @ florian: there is the lever on the left which serves as carriage return. two quick release buttons are very cleverly mounted on the platen bar itself.
    @ I dream lo-tech: some more Brosette: http://typewriters.ch/collection/brosette.html
    @ Cameron and Duffy Moon: I agree. The design is, as I understand, by Prof. Wagenfeld. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Wagenfeld
    @ Adwoa: which Calanda? Buybuybuy!
    I think I paid 20 € average for the Brosettes, by the way.

    ResponderBorrar