23 de octubre de 2014

Refitting my Triumph Norm

While on holiday in Austria, my father was so kind as to present me with a Triumph Norm portable. After a thorough cleaning - isn't this sometimes a very nice thing to do? - it turned out to be fully working. Fitted with a new ribbon, it was ready to go.

The case was pretty battered, so I thought of a way to restore, or redecorate it. I chose the latter, buying some new fabric which in texture and style resembled the original one from the 1930s. Stripping the case - well, this time, I only did the base part -, measuring the new fabric, and glueing it on with spray glue was a very satisfactory experience as well. I am happy with the result.

See a few pictures of this work:




NICE original 3-D pattern. Wanted to conserve part of it, but in the end covered it all.

Taking off the old fabric was rather easy.

Nice quality wood!

surgery continues

Now isn't this a piece of art? I was about to conserve this in its state and sell it for 5 mio. dollars, but then decided otherwise - money is not everything.

7 a.m., the new cloth fits (dark parts still drying)

tata!


I replaced the rubber feet, which I found at the local hardware store for amazingly cheap. Looks a bit squeezed here, but is a perfect replacement. I also put four new rubber pads underneath the plate, they are perfectly anti-slide feet.

once again, as I am so proud of this.

The machine, missing bits of its original decoration, but never mind.



always good to have a newly furbished and working typewriter at home!
  

3 comentarios:

  1. Great work on the case restoration. Your typewriter looks new.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. This looks nice and clean!

    ResponderEliminar